Thursday, June 25, 2009

Perez Hilton... A Victim???

Written By Kimo


So most of you may have heard about the recent scandal involving Perez Hilton and Will.I.AM of the Black Eyed Peas. I was doing some web browsing and found out that GLAAD recently criticized Perez for using anti-gay slur (fagot) against Will.I.AM on Sunday in a altercation outside a night club in Toronto. GLAAD also said that Perez should apologize for his actions in using the anti-gay slur.

After doing a little bit more searching I found an article on MTV.com that Perez Hilton says that GLAAD owes him an apology for further victimizing him. The article quotes a statement Perez gave to TMZ saying, "I am saddened GLAAD chose to victimize me further by criticizing me for how I non-violently dealt with a very scary situation that, unfortunately, turned violent." Perez goes on to say, "While I doubt I will get an apology from GLAAD, nor do I expect one, I would just hope people know how difficult it is to intellectualize a situation and think rationally when a thug disguised as a musician is screaming at your face and intimidating you, I am just very fortunate and grateful that nothing more serious happened to me."

I decided to do a little more research by going to his blog site and see if he posted anything recent regarding the incident. I'll be honest I was not surprised when I found his latest posting, “A New Statement from Perez Hilton”. He starts off by giving his take on the situation and how he felt physically threatened by a verbally abusive Will.I.Am. He makes an attempt to justify his actions with the following statement “I was in an out-of-the ordinary situation and used a word that I would not utter under normal circumstances. My intention - however misguided it may have been - was to stand up for myself and tell this belligerent man that I had enough of his badgering and was not going to continue to let him berate and intimidate me. I wanted to hurt him with the word I chose, not anyone else.” Perez goes on to say, “I did what I thought was best at the moment to stand up for myself in a non-violent yet still assertive way. Clearly, I am not homophobic. Also, I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a spokesperson for the gay community. I am just speaking for myself, a gay man. One who is labeled "flamboyant" in the media. An American that is not granted equal rights under the law.”

So what is he really saying by that statement. Because he is not a self proclaimed spokesperson for the gay community, he is labeled “flamboyant” in the media, an American that is not granted equal rights under the law, and felt physically threatened by ones alleged verbal abuse, all these elements justify his actions? Hmmm okay?

Perez later states, “words can hurt. But words should not provoke someone to violence.” “I have been extremely bothered by the public reaction to my assault. Violence should never be condoned with such statements as "It's Karma" or "I don't believe in violence but….". In fact, several television and radio shows over the past couple of days echoed the sentiment "He had it coming". Would they have said the same thing if I was a woman? Would I have "deserved it" if I had been stabbed? Or shot? Or killed?”

Perez cant be serious??? Right????? When I first heard of the altercation between the two stars I ignored it and just chalked it up to typical Hollywood drama. But after today I am actually bothered by it.

I guess its because I don't like the fact that Perez has turned the situation and made himself the victim and never takes responsibility for his own actions. If he had walked away from the altercation. Chose a peaceful means to resolve the situation chances are the outcome would have been totally different.

In his blog posting I find several of his quotes a direct contradiction to his actions, like this one: “words can hurt. But words should not provoke someone to violence.” If he really believed in this Will.I.Am's alleged verbal abuse wouldn't have caused Perez to react violently by calling him a fagot right?


There are no reports that a gun was being held to his head and he was forced to stay and tolerate the verbal abuse. There were other nonviolent solutions to the situation that Perez could have chose. It can be a difficult or painful concept to grasp at times, but your actions or reaction to a situation can dramatically determine the outcome. I feel that this situation is a prime example of exactly that.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that he deserved to be hit. What I am saying is that his violent actions, brought about a violent outcome. Had his reaction been one of peace the outcome would have more than likely been one of peace. I hope that Perez will eventually see how his own actions played a part in the situation and he can truly learn from it.

If you would like to read more you can use the links located through out this blog. Or you can use google and find plenty of articles and formulate your own thoughts about the situation. Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about this blog. All views, comments, ideas, perspectives are welcomed!

1 comment:

  1. What a twisted set of events. Perez seems a bit confused; I hope both men can settle this thing like adults and move on.

    ReplyDelete