Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Obama's Presidential Proclamation for Pride

Written By: Kimo

Yesterday, I found myself snooping through the White House website and I came across President Barack Obama's proclamation on pride month (Click here to see it). The proclamation I believe is very well written, but that’s expected. Obama Starts off by referencing Stonewall, and he acknowledges the contributions that LGBT Americans have made and continue to make that "strengthen the fabric of American society". Obama goes on to say how proud he is to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration.

Obama them goes on to state, “The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and respect.”

Obama also adds, “My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the number of HIV infections and providing care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.”

President Obama then closes with, “NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.”

I will be honest after reading this proclamation I was inspired. It gave me a new sense of hope maybe change for our community is coming sooner than later. I’m very grateful that President Barack Obama had the courage to make this declaration, I pray that Obama maintains this courage and turn his words into reality. After all, actions speak louder than words right? Only time will tell.

Please feel free to share your thoughts about Obama’s proclamation for pride?





No comments:

Post a Comment