Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hawaii Appoints Openly Lesbian Judge Sabrina McKenna to its Supreme Court

by SheWired Editors

Sabrina McKenna was confirmed to the Hawaii supreme court Wednesday, making her the first openly gay judge to serve on the state's highest court.

McKenna, 53, was a senior judge on Oahu's family court, according to the Associated Press. She has 16 years of experience in serving the bench.

"This is the most important decision I have made in my career,” Gov. Neil Abercrombie said in a statement when he nominated her as an associate justice in January. “This appointment sets the course for the state and its legal direction for the next several years.  I am completely confident that Judge McKenna's appointment will be something I'm proud of for the rest of my life."

McKenna is Abercrombie's first judicial nominee.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment